About the American Meteorological Society (AMS)
The American Meteorological Society promotes the development and dissemination of information and education on the atmospheric and related oceanic and hydrologic sciences and the advancement of their professional applications. Founded in 1919, AMS has a membership of more than 14,000 professionals, students, and weather enthusiasts. AMS publishes eleven atmospheric and related oceanic and hydrologic journals — in print and online — sponsors more than 12 conferences annually, and offers numerous programs and services.
The AMS is an inclusive society in that it welcomes not only persons who work in areas that further the goals of the Society but also those with a general interest in the science and its applications.
Visit the AMS Web site at: http://www.ametsoc.org
Why should you join?
- Prestige and professionalism: Be part of a dynamic national and international scientific network, increase your expertise, and make an impact on your profession and community, both personally and collectively with your colleagues.
- Financial benefits: Membership with the AMS pays for itself many times over through reduced rates for conferences, short courses, books, and preprints, among others. Take advantage of graduated membership rates for students and young professionals.
- Career advancement: Numerous professional development and certification opportunities, including the Certified Consulting Meteorologist and Certified Broadcast Meteorologist.
- Community involvement: Join a vast group of volunteers and members involved in shaping the future of our profession, promoting programs in our Nation’s primary, secondary and university school systems, and increasing the participation of students, young professionals, women, and minorities.
- Societal dialogue and engagement: Influence science, our profession, and society, by interacting with the public, private, and academic sectors and ensuring knowledge and literacy of meteorology are shared with decision makers, educators, and the public
Membership benefits include:
- Complimentary subscription to the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society (BAMS)
BAMS, the official organ of the Society. BAMS will keep you abreast of Society activities, services, and benefits.
- Society journals at greatly reduced subscription rates
Access the latest reports of scientific research and developments as published in the AMS’s peer-reviewed journals…available in print and online! And since students pay just one-half the AMS Member rate, your savings are substantial!
- Eligibility for undergraduate scholarship and graduate fellowship awards, student travel grants to AMS meetings, and best paper awards at many conferences.
- Special member rate for Weatherwise magazine
AMS members can purchase a personal subscription AND an unlimited number of gift subscriptions to Weatherwise magazine at nearly a 50% discount! Each six-issue subscription to Weatherwise offers a colorful and non-technical look at the latest discoveries in meteorology and climatology. Contact Member Services for details.
- Deep discounts on new and classic titles in the collection of AMS Books.
Choose from over 50 titles and books in print, including general interest weather books, histories, biographies, and monographs — plus much more.
- Discounted registration fees for AMS annual and specialty meetings
Accelerate your professional development by presenting papers, sharing ideas, and networking with professionals and other students at the AMS Annual Meeting and Student Conference and other AMS sponsored events.
- Special Member privileges on our new AMS Online Career Center
Get a leg up on the (non-member) competition! Use our Career Center to create an online resume, view available jobs, and manage your career search online. Our database of resumes lists AMS members first and only AMS members have exclusive viewing rights to the newest job postings!
- Access to information for “Members Only”
Only members have access to a searchable online version of the 2001 edition of the Glossary of Meteorology. Containing over 12,000 terms, this volume is among the leading reference sources in meteorology and related sciences.
The cost is only $20 per year! Start enjoying the benefits of Society membership by applying online. Payment by Visa, MasterCard, or American Express is required. If you prefer, you may fill out and mail in the paper application with a check.